Based on the goals of the Advisory Council for Aeronautics Research in Europe (ACARE) and considering projects that address cost efficiency, CAPPADOCIA will assess a number of ongoing or completed European Union (EU) and non EU-funded projects and contribute to answering the following main questions:
- What are the most commonly used cost-reduction practices in aviation for design system and tools, production and avionics?
- What are the main limitations (innovation, regulation, financing, etc.) to the implementation of solutions that have a significant impact on the achievements of cost-efficiency objectives set by research policy-makers?
- Which actions should be launched or strengthened to overcome these obstacles and speed up the development, maturation and uptake of new solutions?
To answer those questions, CAPPADOCIA will focus on the research activities that mainly address the ACARE goal related to cost efficiency in aeronautics and air transport, particularly the following technical domains: design systems and tools, production and avionics, which are the main areas that influence costs and thereby cost efficiency in the field of aeronautics. Other domains, such as propulsion or maintenance.
The work is organized around 2 technical work packages.
The first one is aimed at analyzing the state of the art in the research landscape to improve cost efficiency in aeronautics:
- Review state of the art of research and innovation (capacity, main performers)
- Identificate gaps in the research landscape
- Identificate bottlenecks to innovation (regulation, financing)
- Formulate strategic recommendations to address the gaps and bottlenecks to innovation
The second one will analyze EU and non-EU initiatives to improve cost efficiency in aeronautics:
- Assess the impact of EC-funded projects towards ACARE goals and solutions achievements
- Analyze the collected data on projects and provide an impact assessment of each one toward ACARE goals
- Formulate strategic recommendations to progress towards ACARE goals and solutions
Based on their respective results, WP2 and WP3 will formulate individual strategic recommendation reports aimed towards policy-makers for possible improvements to cost efficiency and competitiveness in aeronautics and air transport. These annual reports will be analysed, reviewed and compiled into a yearly strategic recommendations report.